Ingredients
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced (I've used shallots)
2 large carrots, halved lengthwise and finely sliced
3 celery stalks, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
6 cups vegetable stock + 1 cup water
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 sprig of rosemary (or 1 tsp. dried)
1 c. orzo
1 bay leaf
1/8 c. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 bag of baby spinach
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions
Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for about five minutes, until vegetables have softened. Add the thyme and some freshly ground black pepper. Add the vegetable stock and water and bring to a boil. Add the chickpeas and orzo, as well as the rosemary and bay leaf (I put these into a spice ball for ease of removal later). Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until orzo is cooked through. Reduce heat to low, stir in lemon juice, then add the spinach. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan.
Serves 4 to 6.
NOTE: I replaced the thyme, rosemary and bay leaf with 1 tsp. of Laurie's Tuscan Spice Mix with great results. I recommend adding an extra cup of water (for a total of 2) to reduce the sodium overall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment